Monday, January 16, 2017

Meal Plan Monday No. 2 (and some ramblings)

I have been doing a LOT of thinking lately about my health & fitness journey. My attitude has been terrible. I am not good at balance and if I'm not all in, counting macros, working out every single day, and making myself & my family crazy, then I just don't do anything. Its one extreme to the other. Tater tot casserole! Rum & Diet Coke! Garlic bread, mmmm, soooo much garlic bread. Lean Cuisine Thai chicken spring rolls dipped in sweet chili sauce!

Unfortunately I really do feel so much better when I'm eating right and working out. Ugh! Why is that? My husband doesn't feel the need to do those things. Why should I?

Because if I don't I'll gain a bunch of weight and feel like crap! 



So I'm trying to decide on a workout plan that I can maintain. That's the easy part. I shared how much I love going to the gym and my whole routine around it in my last post.

The hard part (for me, anyway) is planning healthy dinners when you have a family. If it was just me fending for myself I could easily eat chicken, brown rice, and broccoli for dinner every night in true Fit Girl style. I don't need excitement or variety in my diet. But I have been blessed with an awesome family so I must cook for them and they DO like excitement & variety! My younger son will eat (or at least try) most anything. He wants to look like John Cena and I told him that requires lots of protein and veggies. He wants to be strong and cares about which foods are healthy and which aren't. #parentingwin

My older son, however, is getting pickier by the day. He's on a potato kick right now. Like, literally, he will make himself a baked potato for a snack. He cuts a slice down the middle and fills it with all the horrible toppings (at least he loves green onions) (but we've been going through way too many of the bagged bacon bits) and then smooshes it back together; picks it up and eats it like a burrito. No knife, no fork. Its pretty funny and I gotta give him credit that he eats the skin too. I guess as far as snacks go, it could be worse.

And honestly, I don't want to be so obsessed with healthy eating that I mess up my kids. I've seen kids of 'healthy' parents go totally berserk on camping trips and at parties because they are never allowed to eat 'bad' food. Balance ..... its all about balance.

My point with that tangent was, its a challenge to sit down every Monday and come up with four nights of dinners that my guys will actually eat. This is when I remind myself that, OK, maybe it would be easier & cheaper to be a family of fatties (again I say, tater tot casserole!!) but I don't want that for my kids. Even if some days I truly don't care about myself, I really do want to model proper health for my boys.

So here's what we will be eating this week. Every night I spread out a build-your-own-salad bar since my older pickier son will sometimes just eat three bowls of salad if he doesn't like the dinner. Whatever dude. Enjoy your salad.

Meals for 1/16 thru 1/20

M - Stuffed Cabbage Soup, heavy on the cabbage - we have two heads of cabbage in the fridge that must be eaten ASAP.
T - Tacos - we pretty much always do Taco Tuesdays around here now; I wrote about how we do taco nights before.
W - Leftovers - I have simplified my life by making Wednesday always be Leftover Night - it cleans out the fridge and also ensures that we are on time for our church meeting that night.
Th - Oat Crusted Chicken with Lemon Yogurt Sauce - I'm excited to try this; the ingredients are things I always have on hand so if we like it this will be a great quick dinner option.
F - Zuppa Toscana soup - we are having a bunch of friends over so I figured I'd make this for the adults and pop in a tray of nuggets for my picky son and any of the other kids who won't like spicy soup. #balance #funfridays

I'm also going to make a batch of these; they're the perfect midday snack. I change up the recommended seasonings to 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder, mainly because I hate mustard and most spicy spices. #boringwhitegirl

Now I'm off to choose a new workout plan and then hit the gym. I am finally going to start physical therapy for my bad knee this week so hopefully that won't change anything with what I'm able to do, workout-wise. I guess I'll find out.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, happy to have your blog back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! I appreciate the support and hope i can join you for Crossfit soon!

    ReplyDelete